It has been said that when negotiating a contract, a good result is one that you are happy with. The same should hold true in hiring a lawyer. While the following is not an exhaustive list, we think that these are things that make a great lawyer:
- The lawyer has extensive experience in a certain area of law and a proven track record of success.
- The lawyer treats the client with respect and as an equal partner.
- The lawyer clearly explains the law to a client and helps the client make an informed decision based on all of the possible outcomes and alternatives to resolving a matter.
- The lawyer communicates with his client. This includes regular written correspondence, returning phone calls and letting the client know of all settlement offers and developments in the case.
- The lawyer is honest and ethical. He/she has a clear understanding that no matter what a case is potentially worth, no case is worth committing a violation of the law or state bar ethical rules.
- The lawyer makes decisions in the best interests of his or her client, not based on what is easiest or most convenient for his or her schedule.
- The lawyer has a strong reputation in the legal community.
- The lawyer does not take cases that are frivolous.